Thursday, September 19, 2013

What, Me Worry?


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Alfred E. Neuman was Mad Magazine’s know-nothing icon. He had the ready attitude toward disasters about to befall him: “What, me worry?” I loved reading Mad Magazine when I was a teenager, but that is not the point of this eDevotion.

Richard Wurmbrand, a Romanian Jewish Believer and an amazing man of God, spent 14 years in Communist prisons where he was tortured brutally for his faith and then lived to tell about it. In his book, The Oracles of God, he writes about acquiring inner peace and tells the following powerful story.

During a tempest at sea when a ship was being tossed to and fro by the angry waves, the wife of a naval officer asked her husband, "How can you be so calm in such a storm?"

The officer drew his sword, pointed it at his wife, and asked, "Why are you calm and unafraid?" Surprised, she protested, "Why should I be afraid? The sword is in the hand of my husband who loves me too much to harm me."

Her husband smiled and said, "This is the source of my calm, too. The wind and the waves are in the hands of my loving Father. Why should I be afraid?"

You may find yourself in a “storm” right now. I don’t expect you to stand with Alfred E Neuman and say, “What, me worry?” But I would encourage you to remember that your are in the hands of our loving Father. He's right there with you, and being there, He will see you through.

He calms the storm, so that its waves are still. Psalms 107:29

No comments:

Post a Comment