Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I’ve Never Been Better

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I can’t remember [if ever] a day reading a newspaper full of good news, can you? If I take the news at face value, there is hardly any ongoing good in the world. Tension in the Middle East, economies on the brink of collapse, and natural calamities one after the other - these are troubling times.

That’s why I love the message of the Psalmist, “For in the time of trouble He shall hide me...” [Psalm 27:5].

Yes, these are troubling times, but as a Christ follower, I’m well because my life is hid with Christ in God [Colossians 3:3]. It reminds me of a cowboy I  once heard about. 

He was pulling a horse trailer on a long Texas road, his faithful dog by his side in the pick-up. He happened to take a curve too fast and lost control of the truck. The result was a terrible accident.

A Texas Ranger happened upon the scene. He saw the horse, the dog, and the cowboy all in terrible shape, laying near the overturned vehicles. Being an animal lover, his attention was first drawn to the horse. He recognized the serious nature of the injuries, pulled out his pistol, and put the horse out of its misery. Then he went to the dog, which was also critically wounded. His heart was gripped as the dog whined in pain, so again, he pulled out his revolver and ended its suffering. 

With a smoking gun in hand, he next went to the cowboy who had witnessed the action of the Ranger. He had suffered multiple fractures and could barely breathe. The Ranger asked the cowboy, “Hey, are you okay?” With unexpected energy the cowboy responded, “I’ve never been better!”

We are pilgrims in this sinful and dangerous world. Sometimes we get wounded which, at times seems unbearable. It’s at those times the truth of the Psalmist comes to bear. It’s there I can find a spiritual and supernatural strength to say, “I’ve never been better!”  


One thing I have desired of the Lord, That will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord All the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the Lord, And to inquire in His temple. For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock. Psalm 27:4-5 

No comments:

Post a Comment