Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Christmas In July and Always

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

While I was away at my dear wife’s Aunt’s funeral, the young people at the church I pastor had a “Christmas In July” celebration. I didn’t get to attend the event, but it did provoke me to thought. Why do Christ followers seem to merely celebrate Christmas at Christmas? 

I’m not referring to Christmas “hype.” That’s what merchandisers do. Once the shopping season is over, they get rid of the Christmas stuff and move on to New Years, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, et al. 

The same is true for some families. Once the Christmas dinner leftovers have been devoured, there’ll be no more Christmas until next year. No matter the situation, it’s hard, or nearly impossible, to keep up the hype. 

Christ followers know differently! God raised up a great leader in Israel whose name was David. A promise was made to him that a Savior would come from his descendants, who, with His life, death, and resurrection, would redeem the world. He would establish peace with God through the forgiveness of sins. All of His followers would be a part of His great kingdom of life, a kingdom that would not end. 

That is the Christmas to celebrate. Gifts, songs, lights and decorations are just a small part of the joy at Christmas time. But God’s gift of the Savior, of Christ, is Christmas joy for Christ followers every day — now and always!  

When your days are over and you rest with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring to succeed you, who will come from your own body, and I will establish his kingdom. He is the one who will build a house for my Name, and I will establish the throne of his kingdom forever. 2 Samuel 7:12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment