Sunday, September 13, 2015

Walking in the Spirit and Prayer

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I hope you can tell by these daily eDevotions that I’m devoted to the Scriptures. Daily Bible reading is a must for me, and to be completely honest with you, I often can’t tell when my reading ends and meditation begins, or when meditation turns to prayer. I think true devotion to the Word is like that—a seamless process. I’m not alone here, right? 

Scripture, meditation, and prayer are the essential components in our strategy to walk in the Spirit. Anything that leads us to prayer is a huge asset because the attitude of our moment-by-moment prayer life (patterned after Paul’s command to “pray without ceasing” [1 Thessalonians 5:17]), will help us to keep in step with the Holy Spirit. 

When I say, “pray without ceasing,” obviously I don’t mean that every waking moment is spent in formal prayer. I think what Paul had in mind was in reference to recurring prayer, not ceaseless words. In other words, bring every temptation before Him. Give thanks for every good gift He gives from above. Ask for His help when you have an opportunity to share your faith. Turn to Him as the great Deliverer whenever you experience a trial. 

This helps us to see that walking in the Spirit is a lifestyle of continual prayer. Every thought, every action, every circumstance becomes an opportunity to talk to God; to thank God; to praise God; to petition God. 

Paul’s advice to the Ephesian Christ followers is good for us too. He said, “Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere” [Ephesians 6:18].

Spending time with God in prayer is a crucial element in walking by the Spirit.

The end of all things is near; therefore, be of sound judgment and sober spirit for the purpose of prayer. 1 Peter 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment