Tuesday, November 10, 2015

T.H.I.N.K. Before You Speak

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

It happened in the bathroom of a London club. William Beverbrook, a British newspaper publisher and politician, happened to meet Edward Heath, a young member of Parliament. A few days earlier, Beverbrook had printed an insulting editorial about Heath.

“My dear chap,” the publisher began, “I’ve been thinking it over, and I was wrong. Here and now, I wish to apologize.” “Very well,” Heath grunted, “but the next time, try insulting me in the washroom and apologizing in your newspaper.”

Have you ever said something that, later, you regretted saying? I hate it when that happens, but I’ve done it many times. It makes me very unhappy, and I’m sure the Lord isn’t too happy either! 

Someone sent me an eMail titled T.H.I.N.K. Before You Speak. It suggested that we consider what we are about to say by using this Acrostic…

T - is it True
H - is it Helpful
I - is it Inspiring
N - is it Necessary
K - is it Kind

That’s really great advice. If what we are about to say doesn’t pass the test, it probably isn’t worth saying—especially when it comes to gossip. So, T.H.I.N.K. before you speak. Allow God to help you refine your words. If you’re going to speak on His behalf, T.H.I.N.K.   

In the same way, the tongue is a small thing that makes grand speeches. But a tiny spark can set a great forest on fire. And the tongue is a flame of fire. It is a whole world of wickedness, corrupting your entire body. It can set your whole life on fire, for it is set on fire by hell itself. James 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment