Monday, February 8, 2016

Lord and Savior

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Never downplay the Lordship of Christ! It’s an issue that has plagued the evangelical church for decades. The idea that you can receive Jesus as your Savior and not your Lord was unthinkable in Bible times. It’s the Lordship of Christ that demands our obedience to Him. Maybe you’ve heard someone say, “I received Jesus as my Savior when I was twelve, but I did not really make Him my Lord until I was forty.” Or maybe you know someone who responded to an altar call some time back, but their present life shows no evidence of concern for following Jesus. Some commentators call either of these, examples of “carnal Christianity,” that is, a belief in being saved even if there is no evidence of a changed life. The truth of the matter is that Scripture refers to good works as a necessary fruit of our redemption.

Let’s be clear, we are justified by faith alone, apart from works [Galatians 2:16]. However, that faith is a living one, and it produces good deeds of service [James 2:12-26]. Those deeds do not justify us, but they do justify our faith. 

The sign of being a Christ follower is our love for Jesus as Savior, and our obedience to Him as Lord. It is a package deal. I doubt it is possible to be in Christ without having a desire to serve Him.

We are starting a new week today. Be encouraged that you are in Christ — if you are striving against sin [He is your Savior], and striving to live faithfully for Him [He is your Lord].

So why do you keep calling me ‘Lord, Lord!’ when you don’t do what I say?  Luke 6:46

No comments:

Post a Comment