Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Bring Your Gift

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

What does your Christmas shopping list look like? Mine has a name followed by a limit of how much I will spend for the gift — I’m not being Ebenezer here, but I don’t want to spend even a penny more than my set limit. That being said, what I spend rarely coincides with the amount I intended to spend. Can I get a witness! And I love it when I’m able to draw a line through the name. Done!

I have another list, one much more important than my shopping list. I carry it with me everyday, everywhere. I call it “My Life Plan.” It’s in my heart and I am constantly making choices in light of it. I guard it as treasure map to eternity, and it really is just that. And just like my shopping list, there is a gift involved. It can’t be purchased, but it is an extremely important gift … a heart fixed on obedience. It is the best gift I can offer to the One who loved me, and gave Himself for me.

The Psalmist wrote about it: 

O God, my heart is fixed!” [Psalm 108.1a]

I take joy in doing Your will, my God, for Your law is written on my heart” [Psalm 40.8].

A “fixed,” “determined,” “steadfast” heart rightly focuses on God, His will, and His way. 

As we turn to the Christmas story, we’re reminded that Magi came from the East bearing gifts: Gold, Frankincense, and Myrrh. Matthew referred to them as “treasures.” But before the gifts were given, they fell down and worshipped Him. 

It’s Christmas time — the perfect time to “go to the manger,” fall on our faces in worship, and offer our gift. So, take a look at your gift list to Christ. Check it twice if you want to. Then, give Him your best gift: a heart fixed on obedience.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And going into the house, they saw the Child with Mary His mother, and they fell down and worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered Him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. Matthew 2.10-11

No comments:

Post a Comment