Tuesday, November 26, 2013

“Now What Do You Say?”

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I was in the check out line at Wal Mart the other day [yes, I shop at Wal Mart], when a young lad begged his Mother for money to play video games. She had already completed her purchase and everything was bagged and ready to go. When she told her son that she didn’t have any cash, the boy continued his request for money. A very nice lady handed the boy a dollar bill and told the Mom, “With your permission, let him have this for a video game.” The boy was smiling ear to ear. His Mother said, “Now, what do you say?” He replied, "Can I go play the game now?"

His response is indicative of our narcissistic culture. Have we really come to the place where we think thankfulness is beneath us, that we somehow deserve everything we want? 

It caused me to reflect on my attitude with God for all His blessings. As a Christ follower, I don’t want to come to the place where I say, in word or action, “I deserve what You have given me. Can I go play now?” The right thing to do is bow before Him and say in all humility, “Thank you for every gift from Your hand.”

The Christ follower has as his/her example none other than the Lord Himself.  And while I’m certain that He thanked His Father for many other things, the Gospels record at least four of them:
  • John 6:11 - for the Father’s provision of food
  • John 11:41 - for the Father listening to His prayers
  • Luke 10:21 - for the Father’s revealed will
  • Luke 22:19, 20 - for the Father’s redemptive plan
Thanks to my computer’s Bible software, I was able to quickly look up many passages about thankfulness. I was reminded that we are commanded to give thanks, and even how, where, why, and how often to give thanks. 

Let’s follow our Lord’s example and the clear teaching of Scripture and be thankful Christ followers. 

In everything give thanks for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1st Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment