Monday, November 4, 2013

One-A-Day

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God
When I was a kid, I told people that I wanted to be a vitamin when I grew up. When asked why, I said, “I walked past a drug store one day and there was a sign in the window: Vitamin B1. OK, after the groaning stops I hope you’ll finish reading this devotion!

I don’t know about you, but when I take a vitamin, I don’t feel an extra rush of energy. In fact, I really don’t feel much of anything. I don’t take vitamins for their immediate impact. I take them their long-term effect.

In some way, that is how I feel about my daily Bible reading. On certain occasions, there are some “Aha” moments, but most of the time it’s like taking a vitamin—I know in the long haul it is good for me. 

What’s the point? Taking a vitamin will not produce a sudden burst of adrenaline or bolt of energy, but over time, taken regularly, vitamins will strengthen your immune system and improve your general health and well-being.

A daily dose of God's Word is the same. The long-term effects of regularly digesting Scripture, will promote your spiritual health and well-being. Though it may not be like a bolt of lightening every time you sit down, you can be certain it will boost your immunity to the fiery darts of doubt, disbelief, and deception!  As the scripture says, "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God!" [Romans 10:17] 

So by all means, take your "vitamins" today.

How sweet are thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Psalms 119:103 

No comments:

Post a Comment