Monday, January 27, 2014

Get Out of the Way


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

Do you remember the bracelets and necklaces that Christians wore years ago that had the letters WWJD? It was an acronym for “What Would Jesus Do?” It was a great idea, but as I have gotten older, I think I have a problem with it — not with the idea, but how can we, mere humans, really know what Jesus would do? He had a way of doing the unexpected, like the time a lame man was brought to Him and Jesus forgave his sins [Mark 2:1-12]. Or like the time when, in front of an angry crowd, He defended the woman caught in adultery [John 8:1-11]. Or like the time when a demoniac was delivered and was told that he had to go home and not follow Jesus [Mark 5:18-19]. 

The point of all this is if I do as Jesus did, then I must see things as Jesus sees them and love as Jesus loves. It’s at that point that I fall short. If I may be honest with you, I put everything through the grid of what would Rick do or what is best for Rick?

So, is it really possible to accomplish WWJD? We would come a lot closer to it if we followed the exhortation of Paul to, “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.” [Philippians 2:3–8]

To do what Jesus would do is a worthy goal and the first thing we have to do to accomplish it is to get out of the way! That’s right, walk in humility and get out of the way. The good news is that, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” [Philippians 4:13] I just need to get out the way of the One who can actually do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment