Thursday, August 21, 2014

God’s Tattoo

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I’m not a tattoo kind of guy. Some argue that tattoos are foolish, while others are covered with with. I often think of high profile personalities that have the name of their “significant partner” tattooed on them for all to see, only to have it removed and replaced by the next one. I had a dear friend, John, now deceased, who, at the age of 16, self-tattooed an eagle on his chest. He did it thinking that it would make him look older so that he could enlist in the military during WWII. It worked! Not only that, it really was a good looking eagle!

Seven hundred years before the advent of Christ, Israel had forsaken their love and worship of God. The prophet Isaiah warned them that they would be conquered and taken as captives by their enemy should they not repent. And sure enough, because of their rebellious hearts, it happened just as the prophet said. While in their captivity, the people lamented, “The LORD has forsaken and forgotten me,” as if it was God who had abandoned them. 

Have you ever felt like that? Have you ever cried out to God, “Where are You when I need You the most? Did you think that God had forgotten and forsaken you?
 
God’s reminder to Israel, and to us, is a powerful thing, “Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands.” We, like Israel, may forget and forsake our God, but He NEVER forgets His people! He wants us to understand that and take it to heart. The writer of Hebrews so vividly reminded us of those comforting words, “I will never fail you; I will never forsake you!” [Hebrews 13:5]

As Christ followers, how do we know that He won’t forsake us? Easy! He died with outstretched hands on the cross, hands etched with our names on them! 

Sing, O heavens!  Be joyful, O earth! And break out in singing, O mountains! For the LORD has comforted His people, and will have mercy on His afflicted. But Zion said, “The LORD has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me.” Can a woman forget her nursing child, and not have compassion on the son of her womb? Surely they may forget, yet I will not forget you. Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of My hands; your walls are continually before Me. Soon your sons will come back, and all your destroyers and devastators will depart from you. Isaiah 49:13-17

No comments:

Post a Comment