Friday, September 12, 2014

The Roar of the Gospel

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

Among my favorite verses in the Bible is John 3:16. Most Christ followers know it “by heart”. If you know it, say it with me: “For God so loved the world…”

There is another 3:16 verse that I like. It’s found in Leviticus, of all places, and the last line reads, “…all the fat is the LORD’S.”

In my devotional reading this morning, I ran across another 3:16 that is impressive, and the springboard for this eDevotion. This 3:16 is found in the book of Joel and is a part of his powerful, prophetic statement. I tell you that because I want you to know the context. After “multitudes and multitudes in the Valley of Decision,” and the sun, moon, and stars diminishing in light, the Lord will “…roar out of Zion and utter HIs voice from Jerusalem…”

I don’t want to diminish the prophetic nature of this passage, but it does remind me of another time the Lord “roared” out of Jerusalem. It was a thundering message of Good News to all people. Yes, I’m talking about the focal point of history: the death and resurrection of our Savior, the Christ!

While Jesus hung on the cross, we now understand God’s terrible roar when OUR SINS were punished in the horrific death of His perfect Son. But that’s not the end of the story! In His resurrection, Christ became, for all who would believe in Him, the “Door” [John 10:9] to a refuge from God’s judgment against sin—our entry point into God’s kingdom as friends and worshippers forever!

How can Christ followers remain silent in light of what He has done for us? As I tell the people in the church I pastor, “Let ‘er rip!” Maybe I should start saying, “Let ‘er roar!” Be bold in your proclamation of the Gospel because if you don’t, rocks may start roaring instead! [Luke 19.40]

The LORD roars from Zion and utters His voice from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth tremble. But the LORD is a refuge for His people and a stronghold to the sons of Israel. Joel 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment