Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Overcrowded at Christmas

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

Yesterday Janet and I went to Costco to do our normal grocery shopping. I have only one word for that event—OVERCROWDED! We had to circle the parking lot a few times to find a place to park. When we did, it was in the row farthest from the store…about a mile away! Then we got inside. It was a madhouse! People everywhere, running up and down the aisles looking for, presumably, those last minute gift items. It was like electrons bouncing around the nucleus of an atom. I’m so glad that I finished my Christmas shopping in October this year. I was so proud. The only problem is that it was for Christmas, 2012!

That encounter reminded me of how overcrowded our lives can get at times, especially at Christmas time. We can rationalize and say, “It’s not my fault, it’s just the way it is,” but the truth of the matter is that we overbook, overspend, and overestimate all the time. The catastrophic result is that we are too overcrowded for Jesus.

There is no condemnation in that statement. I’m not saying we overcrowd ourselves with evil. We often fill our lives with many good things—too many! And before you know it, you find yourself saying, “Where did the time go? I missed my devotions today. I was so busy, I couldn’t take time to pray. I met with 20 friends today, but I missed my best friend, Jesus.” Christ followers need to understand that, when it comes to fulfilling God’s purpose in their lives, most likely you don’t have to do more; you have to do less!

Allow me to offer a little pastoral counsel. Enjoy the Christmas season. Wrap your gifts. Make your home festive. Make meaningful memories with family and friends. But don’t overcrowd yourself to the point that you miss Jesus. He is the “Reason for the Season,” you know. Long after the memory of this Christmas fades, worshipping Jesus will truly last!

And she brought forth her firstborn Son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.  Luke 2:7

1 comment: