Monday, December 15, 2014

Your Face, His Glory

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I reconnected with a high school chum the other day on FaceBook. When I saw his name I immediately remembered him, but I wouldn’t have recognized him by his profile photo. I remembered him as he was in high school. I took my dusty Samuel F. B. Morse High School Year Book from the shelf and began a little walk down memory lane. 

It stuck me that the year book was filled with faces. Now, I’m certainly glad for that, because that is mostly how we are known. It didn’t show our hands or feet, but the most recognizable part of who we are - our faces.

So why am I talking about faces this morning? Well, it so happened in my devotional time this morning, in 2 Corinthians, that the subject of faces came up. It made me pause and think about how worship effects our faces. Scripture often speaks about our “countenance.” And I think one of the things that true worship does is to change it.

It did Moses’ when he ascended the mountain. When he was in the presence of God, his face reflected God’s glory to the people. It shone so brightly, he had to wear a veil to keep from blinding the people. 

It did Jesus’ when He ascended the mountain. When He appeared to His disciples, His face shone like the noon day's sun.

And that’s what worship does for the Christ follower. The connection between the face and worship is not a coincidental matter. Our face is the most public part of the body, covered less than any other area. When we are exposed to true worship, God takes this most memorable part of the body, and uses it to be a reflection of His glory and goodness.

Forget about looking like a famous sports figure, TV or movie personality, singer or dancer. Instead, worship God and be a reflection of His dear Son, Jesus. That’s what really matters!

All of us, with no covering on our faces, show the shining-greatness of the Lord as in a mirror. All the time we are being changed to look like Him, with more and more of His shining-greatness. This change is from the Lord Who is the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:18 [New Life Translation]

No comments:

Post a Comment