Thursday, February 26, 2015

Restored!

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

My Dad was fond of saying, “Growing old is not for sissies!” He was right. It seems the older I get, the more I remember the days of my youth. Days when, with just a few hours of sleep, my body would be restored to its vigor for another day of adventure. Days when I could play baseball for hours without a sore bone in my body. Days when I could stay up into the wee hours of the morning with friends and then go to work the next day as if it were normal. I wish I could restore my body, but I can’t. 

It’s hard to see other things grow old too. Take my old neighborhood for example. It used to be alive with young families. There were tons of kids on the block we lived on. We roller skated and play hop-scotch on the sidewalks. We played hide-and-go-seek until our parents called us in for dinner. It was teeming with life. I went by the old place recently. It seemed so dead; houses with bars covering all the windows, stores boarded up, no life, it seemed to me. I wish I could restore the neighborhood. I wish I could blow the dust off the streets and make it all new again, but I can’t. 

But what about your soul, dear Christ follower? What happens when your soul becomes dry like the desert? What happens when your soul becomes weary, tired of the sinfulness all around? In times like that, I wish I could restore my soul, but I can’t…

I can’t, but God can! David, the shepherd boy turned King wrote, “[God] restores my soul.” He doesn’t reform the soul, He restores it. Like a Master Builder, He restores the soul to the original blueprints. He restores the vigor, the energy, the vitality, the life, the hope — He restores my soul.

Hallelujah! to the God who restores.

He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Psalm 23:3

No comments:

Post a Comment