Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Untroubled in Troubled Times

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

It would not be an understatement to say that we are living in troubling times. Our newspapers and news programs are filled with troubling stories everyday—frightening genocide; radical extremists who swallow vast chunks of the Middle East; Judea/Christian principles evaporating in a culture that has no “fear of the Lord.” 

Lest you become too discouraged, let me remind you that all these things were predicted by none other than Jesus, Himself. In His famous Olivet Discourse, He told the disciples, “When you hear of…such things,” the end is coming, but the “end is not yet” [Mark 13:7]. I want you to notice that He didn’t say, “If you hear…,” but “When you hear….” Trouble will come, yet our Lord told us to be untroubled in troubled times.

The Psalms are filled with how to live in troubled times. Here are only a few of them. Review them over and over and see how you measure up in days of trouble: 

Psalm 27:5 - For in the day of trouble He will keep me safe in His dwelling; He will hide me in the shelter of His tabernacle and set me high upon a rock

Psalm 34:6 - In my desperation I prayed, and the LORD listened; He saved me from all my troubles

Psalm 46:1 - God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble

Psalm 119:143 - Trouble and anguish have overtaken me, yet Your commandments are my delights

Psalm 138:7 - Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch out Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me

Remember, it’s not if, but when. Jesus said, “In this world you will have tribulations…” [John 16:33]. The Greek word for tribulations is “under PRESSURE.” What is the answer to troubling times? God’s answer to trouble is TRUST. Our answer to trouble is FAITH! 

When you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet. Mark 13:7

No comments:

Post a Comment