Friday, May 8, 2015

Worry: Irrelevant & Irreverent

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I think if Christ were to have chosen two words to describe worry, they would have been irrelevant and irreverent. In His famous Sermon on the Mount, He asked, “And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?” [Matthew 6:27 - NASB]. Worry is irrelevant.

No matter how much you worry, it doesn’t alter a thing. Let me emphasize it with this question: When was the last time you solved your problem by worrying about it? Think about it for just a moment. Have you ever heard anyone say, “I got behind in my bills so I worried my way out of debt. Glory to worry!” Well, have you? When was the last time you heard a testimony like this: “I had a few sleepless nights and about a week of puking my guts out with worry. I wore blisters on my hands from wringing them so much. I popped a few pills, drank myself into a stupor, and yelled at my family and co-workers. And, glory to worry, money appeared in my checkbook!” Well?

It doesn’t happen that way, does it? Worry doesn’t change a thing; it is irrelevant. You can’t add a single day to your life, or life into your day, no matter how sincerely you worry. Truth is, the only thing worry does is earn you heartburn, nothing more. 

Not only is worry irrelevant, because it accomplishes nothing, it is also irreverent, because it distrusts God!

Pray diligently. Stay alert, with your eyes wide open in gratitude. Colossians 4:2 [The MESSAGE Paraphrase]

5 comments:

  1. Love that last verse. My goal is to go through today with my eyes wide open with gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facing a challenging weekend I will reflect on this devotion often thank you

    ReplyDelete