Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Firm and Secure Hope

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I’m finding that the older I get, the less I want things to change. Change is unsettling. And it seems to me that we are living in a time of unprecedented change. Technology is changing so fast that the electronic gadgetry we buy is nearly obsolete by the time we exit the store. Education has changed. It used to be “Readin’, Writin,’ and ‘Rythmetic. I don’t know what to call it today, except, maybe, social manipulation. Wages have changed drastically. When I got my first job, the minimum wage was $1.25 per hour, now it’s $15.00. From the way we work to the way we relax, everything is changing. I want, no, I need something that doesn’t change, something to rely on.

The author of Hebrews wrote about this very thing. He told us that we have a “hope” that anchors our soul: Jesus, slain for our sins, and risen for our rescue from eternal separation from God. 

An “anchor for the soul.” That’s what we need. That’s what brings comfort. An old hymn from 1863 captures this truth…

In ev’ry high and stormy gale my anchor holds within the veil.
When ev’ry earthly prop gives way, He then is all my hope and stay.
On Christ, the solid rock, I stand; all other ground is sinking sand.
From William B. Bradbury’s, My Hope is Built on Nothing Less, 1863

Steadfast. Firm. Secure. The author of Hebrews went on to say, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever” [13:8]. Our hope is anchored in the changeless One. Nothing can undo what He has done to redeem us. Nothing can change His love for us, and nothing can ever separate us from that love. Our steadfast hope, our only hope, is Jesus!

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. Hebrews 6:19

No comments:

Post a Comment