Monday, April 18, 2016

Catch Me

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

In his book, Holy Sweat, Tim Hansel tells the story of a walk he once took with his young son, Zac. There were in the countryside climbing some small, rocky cliffs. They had stopped for a short rest and, while Tim was looking around, he had his back to his son. All of a sudden the boy yelled, “Hey Dad! Catch Me!” Tim whirled around just in time to see that his son had launched himself in his direction. He was able to catch his boy, but that didn’t stop him from a near heart attack. 

As you can imagine, he was shocked and barely able to talk. Finally, he got his voice, “Zac! Can you give me one good reason why you did that?” Calmly, the boy said, “Sure, because you’re my dad.”

That’s childlike faith, the kind that will get you into the Kingdom of God [Matthew 10:15]. As far as Zac was concerned, his dad was trustworthy. He didn’t think anything about it, he simply believed that His dad would catch him. That’s it.

Christ followers would do well to trust like that. We carry around a lot of things that burden and weigh us down. What we should be doing is launching ourselves into the arms of God. Remember, God sacrificed His Son to adopt you into His family. You are His child and He is your heavenly Father. “I’m worried about that lab result, catch me.” “I’m getting old, catch me.” “I lost my job, catch me.” “I don’t want to be alone, catch me.”

Now listen, I’m not suggesting that you jump off the cliff for no reason and expect a safe landing. Not at all. But what I can say is, you are God’s sons or daughters. Stop being fearful and cast yourself on Him. He will NEVER fail to catch you. 

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God! 1 John 3:9

No comments:

Post a Comment