Thursday, July 21, 2016

Revive Us Again

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I remember what it was like to be a teenager in 1968. Three words have been used to describe that time - sex, drugs, and Rock & Roll. Well, I guess that's really four words, but who’s counting anyway!

It was a dark time in our country. There was a drug epidemic, particularly among the teens. And talk about social unrest, there were riots on top of riots, which produced a foreboding hopelessness. Sound familiar? I could be talking about life in 2016.

There is a big difference, though. Today, there is an ever increasing move toward the secular; a move toward godlessness. In 1968, it was near the height of the Jesus Movement. 1968 is the year I fully committed my life to Christ, and so I got to see, first-hand, what it was like to live in a REVIVAL! It was a lot different back then, especially when it comes to gathering together in church services. Back then, when the church doors were open, you went to church!

And while we enjoyed our worship activities, we never went as spectators. We were engaged. We expected something to happen in every service. Honestly, there was a spine-tingling anticipation that God was going to do something. Annie Dillard said that if we were praying right, when we got to church “we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews!” (Quoted in Darrell Johnson, Fifty-Seven Words that Changed the World, pg. 41)

Another thing I remember about those days is that the Word of God was systematically taught. That kind of teaching lent itself to our stability and spirituality. No “sermonettes for Christianettes" in those days! You went to church with the biggest Bible you had and a pocket full of pens. That way, if you ran out of ink while marking up your Bible, you’d instantly have a replacement.

Another thing about those days was an expectancy of the Lord’s return. “He’s coming back!” We heard that nearly every week. And we believed it.

Well, I’m a grandparent now, as are a lot of that generation, I expect. Wouldn’t it be great to see another revival? One that would grab hold of our hearts, and the hearts of our kids and grandkids. I’m ready. How about you? It has to start somewhere. Here I am, Lord. You can start with me!

I have heard all about you, Lord. I am filled with awe by your amazing works. In this time of our deep need, help us again as you did in years gone by. And in your anger, remember your mercy. Habakkuk 3:2

No comments:

Post a Comment