Friday, July 1, 2016

What do you live for?

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Everyone lives for something. What do you live for? What is it that gets you pumped up? What lights your fire? 

I can tell you what it was for the Apostle Paul because he wrote to his friend Timothy about it. “But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is; my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance” [2 Timothy 3:10 - emphasis mine].

Now there’s a guy who lived with a purpose! What’s yours? I can tell you what it is for some, not by what they say, necessarily, but by how they live: 

Life is about having fun 
Life is chasing after pleasure
Life is about making money
Life is about relationships
Life is wielding power
Life is about getting high

Everyone lives for something, and usually it has to do with an attempt to make themselves happy. Dear Christ follower, don’t seek to be happy, seek to be holy. The people I know that seek to be men and women of God, testify that happiness (Christian joy) abounds in their lives as a by-product of holy living.

Rather than seeking pleasure, seek purpose. Rather than seeking success, seek significance. The happiness god, or any other false god, will not be with you in your hour of need, but God will. Wherever you go, He is with you. You have His promise.

Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment