Thursday, March 2, 2017

He Knows My Name

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I woke up this morning with the meditative words of the song, He Knows My Name (I Have A Maker), on my mind. Do you know it? The refrain goes like this:

He knows my name
He knows my every thought,
He sees each tear that falls
and hears me when I call

“He knows my every thought.” The omniscience of God is wrapped up in those words. An all-knowing God may cause fear in some, but for me, it brings comfort. God knows me, therefore I’m not lost in insignificance. He knows me - personally.  

If you have ever wondered that God really knows you, you are not alone. Godly people in Malachi’s day questioned it too. When Malachi spoke about the judgment of God against the wicked, some feared that God might forget them. They even thought they might get consumed by His wrath as well. Malachi records, “Then those who feared the LORD talked with each other, and the LORD listened and heard. A scroll of remembrance was written in His presence concerning those who feared the LORD and honored His name. “On the day when I act,” says the LORD Almighty, “they will be My treasured possession. I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him. And you will again see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between those who serve God and those who do not” [Malachi 3.16-18].

God doesn’t forget whose names are in the book. He knows you and me and that we belong to Him. 

David knew this and found comfort in it as well. “You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in your bottle. You have recorded each one in your book” [Psalm 56.8]. 

In David’s time, it was customary to hire “cry-ers" [mourners] for a funeral. Some commentators suggest that they would collect their tears to prove they had earned their money. As with David, none of our tears go unnoticed by God. He knows. He cares. 

God also sees the tears of frustration when we find sin in our lives. Praise be to God, He loves us in spite of our failures! After His resurrection, the Lord met His disciple in Galilee. He spoke to Peter, who seemed to be trying to convince the Lord that he loved Him (remember, Peter had denied the Lord and was, most likely, guilt ridden). After a third question about his love for the Lord, I don’t know if it was a moment of frustration or if a light of understanding came on, but Peter appealed to the omniscience of the Lord. He said, “Lord, you know all things; You know that I love you!”

Yes, the Lord knows. He knows every fault, failure, fear, and foible - every sin. He knows our love for Him too. And, joy of joys, He helps us through all of them.

A third time Jesus asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know all things. You know that I love You.” Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.” John 21.17

No comments:

Post a Comment