Monday, March 6, 2017

Trust in the Lord

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

A FaceBook friend sent me a short video of some trapeze artists the other day. The things they did were amazing — death defying, in fact. With eyes wide in disbelief, I thought to myself, these guys are crazy; how can they do such things! 

It caused me to read a little bit about such acts. I found out, for example, in a trapeze act, there is a flyer and a catcher. Then I ran across this short exchange between a flyer and an interviewer: “As a flyer, I must have complete trust in my catcher. The public might think I’m the star of the trapeze, but the real star is Joe, my catcher. He has to be there for me with split-second precision and grab me out of the air as I come to him in the long jump. The secret is that the flyer does nothing. The catcher does everything. When I fly to Joe, I have simply to stretch out my arms and hands and wait.” The interviewer asked him, “You do nothing?” “A flyer must fly and a catcher must catch. The flyer must trust with outstretched arms that his catcher will be there waiting for him.”

That could have been an interview with any Christ follower about his or her relationship with Jesus. At one time or another, we’ve all stood on a precipice in life wondering, “Can I entrust my life to Jesus? If I make this leap, will He catch me? 

Some respond in what the Bible calls unbelief. It is vastly different than uncertainty. Unbelief is doubt gone wrong. It is a refusal to trust. Unbelief, biblically, is not uncertainty in the intellect, it is a settled decision of the will.

Jesus spent a lot of time with three of His disciples, Peter, James, and John. One day Jesus told them that He would be rejected and have to go through untold suffering [Mark 9.12]. And then He told them, in so many words, you’re going to walk through some of this with Me. I know you’ll have questions and struggle because of it. I’m going to be crucified, but I’ll be right back. Things will be better on the other side, but not now. We’re going off the mountain today, and so it begins. 

Can they trust Him? Will He be the faithful “catcher?” I say, “YES!” There is none like Him. No book, no hunch, no guru, absolutely nothing or no one is worth betting the farm on. Except Jesus. He’s faithful. The big question is, do we trust the catcher enough to let go?

Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. Psalm 37.5

No comments:

Post a Comment