Monday, June 12, 2017

Windshields, Not Rearview Mirrors

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

The past belongs in the past. It can't be undone. It can't be changed. Have you got some painful memories back there? Are there things that have scarred you, making life difficult today? Have you done things that cause painful memories? You’re not alone. I, too, remember many stupid things I did in past years. 

Maybe that’s why we resonate with the famous parable about the prodigal son: “The younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living” [Luke 15.13].

Shame and embarrassment persists long after the deed has been done. Many who can’t get over the past develop feelings of self-hatred.

But I’m glad the past can’t be changed — please keep reading before you throw your hands up and declare me insane. Listen, the Lord’s triumphant death and resurrection can’t be changed. God’s “Not Guilty” verdict on our sins can’t be changed. The Father’s love for His wayward children can’t be changed. So, like the prodigal son, wear his ring, join the celebration, and dine on the fatted calf!

The Bible is very clear about one thing: God is more interested in building our future than beating us up for the past. Our failures, our foibles, our fiascoes have been completely and freely forgiven. Let’s honor Christ, then, by looking through the windshield, not the rearview mirror!

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4.13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment