Friday, November 10, 2017

That’s the Book for Me

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Do you remember singing…

The B.I.B.L.E. 
Yes, that’s the book for me…

We sang it so enthusiastically as children, but I can tell you that it means more to me now than it did then. I have come to see the Bible as a faultless body of truth, a whole body of truth. “It cannot be broken.” Jesus said that. In other words, all the words stand together or fall together. 

Dr. Luke used the same Greek words in Acts 13.43 to describe  a crowd that “broke up” after a meeting, each going in his or her own way. The Scripture is not like that. Not a single word breaks away from the rest or expresses a different truth from the rest. Scripture is a perfect whole, and it is only perfect when it is whole.

Every aberrant teaching comes from affirming a part of Scripture, while ignoring the rest. That kind of interpretation always produces an unbalanced or lop-sided theology. Only as we make a thorough analogy of its words can we come to an accurate understanding of its message. 

We all have our favorite texts. Still, they shouldn’t be the only ones that shape our opinions about God or His Word. We must perform the diligent task of studying all the texts to “rightly divide the Word of Truth” [2 Timothy 2.15].

Since the Scripture cannot be broken, those who bend it, twist it, wrest it, do so to their own destruction [2 Peter 3.16].

Now, I can finish my song…

I stand alone on the Word of God
The B.I.B.L.E. 

And the Scripture cannot be broken… John 10.35b

No comments:

Post a Comment