Friday, January 26, 2018

Full, Abundant Life

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

One of my Scripture reading programs had me in the book of Proverbs yesterday. I love the book Proverbs. When the books of the Bible are divided into categories, Proverbs is listed as “Wisdom Literature.” And, rightfully so.

The Proverb that stuck with me all day was 3.1-2. It has to do with keeping the commandments of God and enjoying life. For some, those two things don’t seem to go together. I think they do! The author said that if we keep His commandments, “length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.”  

I opened my trusted computer Bible to find that the phrase “length of days” and ”years of life” is found only four times in the Old Testament. And, they are not the same thing. It’s like the guy who said, “Stop counting the days of your life, and enjoy the life in your days.” 

“Length of days” is so beautifully expressed in a passage about the Messiah. It says, “The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!” [Revelation 14.15]. “Forever and ever” is a lengthy time, don’t you think?

“Years of life” is wonderfully described by Jesus when He said, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full (abundant life)” [John 10.10b].

There is a sense in which an obedient Christ follower receives full days as well as long life (although that long life is not the same for everyone). Maybe that’s because an obedient Christ follower’s time is more productive for the Lord. He or she will work for the Lord “while it is still day” knowing that a time is coming when “no man can work.”

I pray your day is filled with God’s work!

My son, do not forget My law, but let your heart keep My commands; For length of days and long life and peace they will add to you. Proverbs 3.1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment