Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Happy New Year!

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

How many times did you hear it between Christmas and January 1st? Nearly every cashier, every server, every attendant, every friend, ended their encounter with you by wishing you, “HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

It’s nice to hear, but I often think it isn’t really a heartfelt greeting. So, for my first eDevotion of the New Year, I want to greet you with the words the Lord spoke to Joshua about 3,500 years ago. 

Joshua was about to lead the Children of Israel into the Promised Land. He had every reason to be afraid. An enormous task awaited him. He was well aware of the dangers that he and the people faced. So it was that God spoke very encouraging words to him, to the effect that, “I will be with you in what lies ahead."

Those are encouraging words to us as well. We are entering a New Year. Will my health hold out? Will my job last through the year? Will I get accepted into the school I want? Will the economy improve? Will terrorists strike closer to home? Will a natural disaster wipe out everything we have accumulated through the years?

The Lord God said, “Don’t be discouraged. I will be with you.” Whatever happens this year will not come by accident. Nothing that touches you will do so by chance. Many years later, the Lord Jesus made the same promise when He said, "I am with you always” [Matthew 28.20]. 

With that, I can wish all of you, HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

Do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1.9

No comments:

Post a Comment