Monday, October 29, 2018

Our BIG Problem

If you’re considering encounters between God and man, you’d be hard-pressed to find a more dramatic one than Moses’ encounter with God in the Midian desert. He was eighty years old at the time, tending his father-in-law’s sheep. That’s when he met God who told him to bring His children out of Egypt.

Moses was stunned, like we would have been, right! He asked two questions: “Who am I?” and, “Who are You?” 

In my mind, the first question was more of a statement than a question. Here’s my expanded version of it: “Are you kidding me? There’s no way on earth that I can pull that off!”

God didn’t waste time answering that question. Why? It’s irrelevant. It didn’t matter who Moses was. Nor does it matter who we are when we say the same thing to God. All that really matters is who is on your side. If it’s the “burning bush God”, you’re going to be OK.

The second question is really the important one. “Who are You?” That’s the heart of the issue. Who He is, is the only thing that matters with any assignment. “I am, “ God said. When I say, “I am,” I have to finish the sentence: “I am Rick.” Or “I am writing this eDevotion,” etc. But with God, “I am” is enough. It’s a shortened version of, “I am always present in the fullness of my power,” and “I am everything you need.”

Our big problem is that we spend entirely too much time on “Who am I.” Thinking about ourselves and how inadequate we are only exacerbates the problem. We constantly ask, “I am I really able to do this?”

Well, ask no more. The answer is “No!” But wait, there’s more. The answer is also “Yes!” The truth here is that we are not able, but God is able. Stop wasting time thinking about yourself and spend more time thinking about who God is and what He can do. Add to that, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”


But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?” Exodus 3.11

No comments:

Post a Comment