Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Comparisons


eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

Comparisons can undermine our contentment. Seeing others owning, enjoying, or experiencing what we do not have, but wish we did, leads to discontentment.
In his letter to the Philippians, Paul said, “For I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am” (Philippians 4:11).
I am intrigued with the two Greek words translated as "learned" and "content." 
"Learned" is from a word meaning to learn by experience. "Content" is a positive rather than negative word. It doesn’t mean raising your hands in reluctant acceptance, but rather to be satisfied, neither disturbed nor disquieted.
There is a place of contentment for everything in life; when the car breaks down, when the checkbook runs on empty, when “Johnny” acts up again, when the doctor proffers a negative medical report, when a college doesn’t accept your entrance application—I could go on. We find that place when we take our eyes off of the situation and fix them solely upon God.
When we adopt this attitude, we live out the truth I once heard author Elisabeth Elliot declare: "The difference is Christ in me. Not me in a different set of circumstances."
To truly embrace our circumstances, we must decide to stop pleading, "God, get me out of here!" and learn to humbly ask instead, "Lord, why have You brought me here? What are You trying to teach me that I would not discover if I were not here. What godly qualities are You trying to grow in me? Patience? Trust? Faith? Compassion?"
When we cease making comparisons and instead willingly embrace our current lot in life, welcoming all that God will teach us through it, we will finally unearth the secret Paul knew. True contentment is not merely having what you want; it is wanting nothing more than what you already have. We can do this when we turn our eyes to Jesus Christ who gives us strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment