Monday, February 10, 2014

Get Me to the Church on Time!

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

A disgruntled church-goer wrote a letter to the editor of his local newspaper with this complaint: "I've gone to church for thirty years now, and in that time I have heard something like three-thousand sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember a single one of them. I think I'm wasting my time and the Pastors are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all."

That complaint fostered a rather heated exchange for several weeks until someone sent in this reply:  

"I've been married for thirty years now. In that time my wife has cooked some thirty thousand meals. For the life of me, I cannot recall the entire menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know this … they nourished me, and gave me the strength I needed to do my work.”

How about them apples! A Christ follower knows that he needs nourishment to work for the Lord. I’m not talking about physical nourishment here, but rather, spiritual nourishment. We get much of the nutrition we need from corporate worship, fellowship with other believers, and, yes, from timely sermons from your pastor. 

We mustn’t isolate ourselves. There are no “Lone Ranger” Christians! God wants us to be in consistent fellowship with like minded believers. We need it for exhortation [see Hebrews 10:25]. 

So get to the church on time! Engage in spiritual worship. Exhort one another. And listen to a good sermon. Your soul will be fed, your spirit will catch fire, and you’ll have all the strength you need for God’s work. 

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.  Colossians 3:16 

No comments:

Post a Comment