Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Vengeance Is Mine

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

When my kids were younger they watched a movie over and over again. It was listed as an adventure/comedy, and they could quote line after line. The movie? THE PRINCESS BRIDE. 

There was a subplot in the movie concerning one of the characters, Inigo Montoya. He spent his life in seeking revenge on the man who killed his Father. He was asked about his occupation and he said he had to work for Vizzini because “there is not a lot of money in the revenge business.” I know those words aren’t in the Bible, but every Christ follower should take them to heart. The pursuit of revenge steals time and energy away from activities that could provide a much higher return.

What we need to do is truly forgive. It comes from a Greek word that has as its root meaning, to let go, or to send away. In my way of thinking, it is the process by which I give up being offended [let go], and allow the issue to be between God and the offender [send away].

The truth is, I need a tremendous measure of trust in God to let go. When my confidence is in Him, I know the offense against me will not derail God’s good plan for me.

Now, that is easier said than done, right? The concept is not difficult, but delivering on it is. And, by the way, there is a vast difference between forgiveness and trust. I have forgiven many offenses against me, but I do not trust the person. I granted them forgiveness, but they must earn my trust. 

Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,” says the LordRomans 12:19 

No comments:

Post a Comment