Sunday, April 20, 2014

Passover 2014 - Let’s Get Clean

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

For most Christians, the Easter celebration is over. For some, there will be no further thought about it until next year. For others, resurrection power will invigorate their lives to new heights of love and service for the Lord. 

The Jewish Passover, however, isn’t over for another day. As I have been thinking about the Passover for many days now, there is a ritual of the celebration that would have a positive impact on Christians, if followed. And that is the removal of leaven from the home. 

Leaven is used in the Bible as a picture of sin. And sin, as we all know, grows once it's allowed to take root in our lives. Sin feeds on itself and leads to other sins. 

The process of cleaning the home of all leaven in preparation for Passover is an enormous task. To do it right, most Jews spend several days and even weeks scrubbing down their kitchens, thoroughly cleaning the insides of stoves, refrigerators, and ovens, and covering all surfaces with foil or shelf-liner that came in contact with leaven during the year. Also during this time, they will eat only unleavened bread [matzo], and other foods, which do not contain yeast.

Christ followers know the benefit of allowing God to inspect and clean out the sin in their lives. Is it painful? Sure. Is it beneficial? ABSOLUTELY! When He washes us, we are clean, really clean! That’s why the Psalmist could say, “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” Psalm 51:7 

Are you due a “leaven” inspection today? Give Him access to your entire life—body, soul and spirit. Confess your sins to Him. If you do, He is faithful to wipe out every sin and clean away all unrighteousness. [See 1st John 1:9] 

Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting. Psalms 139:23-24 

No comments:

Post a Comment