Monday, April 28, 2014

Hungry or Starving for God?

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

David, Israel’s great king, wrote, O God, Thou art my God; I shall seek Thee earnestly; my soul thirsts for Thee, my flesh yearns for Thee, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1

By the sound of it, David had an insatiable desire for God. David is a good Old Testament illustration of what Jesus meant when He said, “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness...” [Matthew 5:6]

Those two words, hunger and thirst, are an expression of intense desire, and they are Greek present participles, which imply the blessing comes as we continuously hunger and thirst for God. By the way, it’s my humble opinion that a Christ follower’s continuous and fierce yearning for righteousness is continuously satisfied by the Savior. 

In his book, Studies in the Sermon on the Mount [vol. 1, pg. 81], Martyn Lloyd-Jones quoted J. N. Darby:

"To be hungry is not enough; I must be really starving to know what is in [God's] heart towards me. When the prodigal son was hungry he went to feed upon husks, but when he was starving, he turned to his father."  

God will utterly satisfy that kind of desire from Christ followers! 

A deer longs for streams of water. God, I long for you in the same way. I am thirsty for God. I am thirsty for the living God.  Psalm 42:1-2a [NIRV]

No comments:

Post a Comment