Thursday, May 1, 2014

From “If” to “I Will”

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

It happened roughly 3,000 years ago at the end of a Sukkot festival. [Sukkot is also known as the Feast of Tabernacles or the Festival of Booths. It is one of the four Water-Drawing Celebrations of the Jews. It lasts for a week and is celebrated in the month of Tishrei. Depending on the New Moon, that would be in Sept/Oct.] It was just after King Solomon dedicated the newly built Temple in Jerusalem—the Lord came down and His glory filled the Temple. What interests me for the purpose of this eDevotion, is what happened afterward. Here is the account from the Chronicler: 

Then the LORD appeared to Solomon by night, and said to him: “I have heard your prayer, and have chosen this place for Myself as a house of sacrifice. When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. [2Chronicles 7:12-14]

In this brief encounter, God told Israel’s King how to gain the “ear” of God. It involved humbling, praying, seeking, and turning. 

A Christ follower knows that those four things are essential in our ongoing relationship with God. So let’s keep living them out. Stated positively: I will humble myself; I will pray; I will seek Your face; I will turn from my wicked ways. As we do...God will hear us!

...if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment