Monday, January 5, 2015

Just A Passin’ Through

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I am a proud citizen of the United States of America. I call it my “home, sweet, home.” However, the U.S. is not the only place I hold citizenship. According to the Bible, I am a citizen of heaven, and I couldn’t be prouder. There is a tension in that because, although my body resides here, my heart longs for there.

It has been said of some Christ followers that they are so heavenly minded, they are of no earthly good. I’ve never met anyone who is like that, but I can understand why some non-believing people would think that way. Perhaps they’ve met those Christ followers who are living out the words of the old Black spiritual, “this world is not my home, I’m just a passin’ through.”

Paul wrote to the Philippian Christ followers about it. He said, “Our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” [Philippians 3:20]. He wrote to the Colossian Christ followers about it. He advised them to, “…set your affections on things above, not on the things of earth” [a partial quote from Colossians 3:1-2]. Our devotion and desire should center there, and then our actions reflect it down here. In other words, we should live with heavenly priorities, not earthly indulgences.

It isn’t easy to live in a sin-sick world and not be corrupted by it, but it can be done. God has not abandoned us without help. He has, according to the apostle Peter, “…given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence” [2 Peter 1:3].  I like to think of it this way, God extends to us the rights and privileges of heavenly citizenship—divine resources—to help keep us from being distracted by the elemental things of this world.

All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ. Ephesians 1:3

No comments:

Post a Comment