Monday, January 12, 2015

Keep Growing Up

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I once read about a little boy who fell out of his bed one night. His Mother came to the room and, after drying his tears, asked him what happened. “I guess I just got too close to where I got in,” he responded. 

We could use the boy’s answer to talk about our faith. Many Christ followers merely stay near where they “got in” and don’t go on toward maturity. It’s really sad when you think about it. 

I have an idea, a little exercise to help evaluate your spiritual growth. Think of a time in the not too distant past, say, a year, two at the most. Have you got it fixed in your mind? OK, now ask yourself a few questions such as:

How does my prayer life compare to then? Am I spending more or less time with God?

How about giving of my time, talent and treasure? Has the amount and joy of giving increased?

How about loyalty to my fellow Christ followers? Can they count on me? Am I faithful in my communion with them?

What about Bible study? Am I getting into it? Am I learning to learn?

The little boy in our story made a simple mistake of staying too close to where he got in. Let’s not make the same mistake! Resting on the edge is risky business.

Therefore leaving the elementary teaching about the Christ, let us press on to maturity… Hebrews 6:1a

No comments:

Post a Comment