Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ruach: Like A Breath of Fresh Air

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

The year was 1969. It sticks in my mind because it was the year of my first flight in an airplane. I was with a friend who laughed at my excitement. He was such an experienced guy, having previously been on an airplane, a cruise ship, and had even driven a race car. As we ascended above the clouds, I got my first bird’s eye view of our planet. There was a brownish grey cloud above the horizon. I remember saying something like, “There must be a dust storm somewhere. Look at all the dirt in the sky ahead.” More laughter from my worldly friend. “Haven’t you heard of smog before? Well, you’re looking at it.” I could hardly believe my eyes.

Fast forward to today. There is still a lot of pollution in the world, and some environmental engineers say that China is among the most polluted nations on earth. How is the government dealing with it? They have teamed up with engineers and innovators to open oxygen stations. That’s right, you can visit a breathing station and take in the atmosphere that has been bottled up from the Laojun Mountains. Some call it an oxygen transfusion.

I’m currently teaching about Holy Spirit in a series of sermons titled Ruach. Ruach is a Hebrew word that can be translated wind, breath, or spirit. The Greek word, pneuma, is the New Testament equivalent. 

I love talking about the Holy Spirit because, in a sense, He is like heavenly oxygen to our soul. Living in our sin-sick world, we constantly breathe the atmosphere of our toxic culture. Being filled with the Spirit is like getting an oxygen transfusion. So breathe deeply dear Christ follower. How refreshing is the Breath of God!

The song writer had it right:

Breathe on me, breath of God, 
Fill me with life anew, 
That I may love what Thou dost love, 
And do what Thou wouldst do.
(Breathe on Me, Breath of God, Edwin Hatch, 1878)

Be filled with the Spirit. Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ. Ephesians 5:18-21

No comments:

Post a Comment