Friday, April 24, 2015

What Really Matters

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

My dear Jan and I have been to England several times. On one of those trips, our guide pointed out a beautiful sculpture and told us it was created by John Bacon [1740-1799]. It was an impressive work, and I found myself wanting to know a little more about him. I discovered that he had been commissioned to do many projects in Great Britain. Locals and tourists can still see his awe-inspiring works in Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, Salisbury Cathedral, Bristol Cathedral, the Somerset House, Guild Hall and other places. 

The thing that fascinated me the most was his burial site at the Whitfield Tabernacle in London. He wrote his own epitaph. Everyone who passes his tomb reads this: “What I was as an artist seemed of some importance to me while I lived; but what I was as a believer in Jesus Christ is the only thing of importance to me now.”

Maybe you’re a student trying to pass to the next grade level or pass a final exam. Perhaps you’re a businessman or woman rushing to meet your next deadline. Perchance you’re retired and battling poor health. No matter where you are in life, there are always urgent matters in the here and now. 

But let me encourage you to never allow the urgent to overshadow what is really important — your relationship with Jesus. None of us knows when our life will end, but when it happens, God’s gracious forgiveness of your every sin at Calvary’s cross is the only thing that matters. 

While you are living, work hard using your talent to the best of your ability. That is good and right, and well pleasing to God. But keep this in mind; what really matters is your bond of faith with the Son of God, Jesus, our Savior.

And Christ lives within you, so even though your body will die because of sin, the Spirit gives you life because you have been made right with God. Romans 8:10

No comments:

Post a Comment