Thursday, July 23, 2015

Ready for Duty

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God

I can’t count the number of biographies I’ve read about D. L. Moody. What a man of God! My favorite story he tells is about hearing Pastor Henry Varley say, "The world has yet to see what God will do with and for and through the man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him.”

I’ve pondered that statement many times…mostly in conviction. What gets me is what he didn’t say. He didn’t say that God would work through the most intelligent person or the most gifted person. He didn’t say God would work through the richest person or the most famous person. The wise pastor said that God would work with and for and through the person “who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him.”

Moody was radically changed by that. Truth is, it should radically change us too. Think about it; God isn’t looking for people with amazing intellects, computer skills, or voices. He’s not looking for the people with the highest SAT scores or GPA. He is searching for those who will simply say, “I’m here, Lord. I’m available. Use me whenever and wherever!” 

That kind of walk requires a daily, no, a moment by moment dependence on God. It requires a focus on important spiritual matters like, “The cross before me, the world behind me; No turning back, no turning back.”

I hunger for that kind of walk with God, don’t you? So let’s do something about it. When I was a missionary in Germany in the ‘70s, I knew a young soldier named Butch Bradley. He gave his heart to the Lord at our Christian Servicemen’s Center in Fuerth [near Nurnberg], Germany. When his alarm went off in the morning, the first thing he would do is stand at attention, salute, and with great enthusiasm say, “Good morning, Lord. Private First Class Butch Bradley reporting for duty!”

Reporting for duty; Ready for service; Fully and wholly consecrated to Him! 

Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I! Send me.” Isaiah  6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment