Friday, October 14, 2016

Divine Discontent

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

Becoming a Christ follower is not the end. You are never finished, complete, or fully mature. There is always more growing to do. In a Principles of Christian Living class I took in seminary, the professor said, “You’re not done as a believer. If you pray, you can pray more. If you obey, you can obey more. If you love, you can love more.” And he was right.

For those who hunger and thirst for God, there seems to be a divine discontent. Like the Psalmist who said, “I will be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.” True, and until that time, that divine discontent keeps us hungry for Him. (For a more in-depth study on this, I highly recommend A. W. Tozer’s book, The Pursuit of God.)

In the physical realm, snacking between meals can spoil your appetite. We often eat a snack just to take the edge off our hunger. The same is true in the spiritual realm. We may be pursuing things that, in and of themselves, are quite harmless, but they take the edge off of a godly appetite.

When it comes to those “snacks,” ask yourself:

Does this make me more or less hungry for God.
Does this draw me closer or keep me away from God.

Here’s another way to see it. Is this a wing that makes me soar to God, or is it a weight that holds me down?

The ultimate goal of a Christ follower is different from that in the world. Rather than seeking power, prestige, and possessions, we seek to be more like Christ. Stay hungry, dear friends!

As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I will be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness. Psalm 17:15

No comments:

Post a Comment