Tuesday, October 4, 2016

The Effective and Wholesome Word

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I had an interesting discussion the other day with someone in our town who didn’t have the same appreciation for the Word of God that I have. It wasn’t a lengthy discussion, but it was impassioned. 

This morning as I reflected on that event, and this eDevotion, I was reminded of a class I took in Bible College on the Bible (of all things!). The professor made a statement that has stayed with me these many years. He said, “The Bible is both effective and wholesome.” I have come to believe that will all my heart.

Effective: For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return there without watering the earth, and making it bear and sprout, and furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; so shall My word be which goes forth from My mouth [Isaiah 55:10-11a).

For whatever reason it is given, and regardless of the response to it, God’s Word will accomplish its intended purpose. Always!

Wholesome: So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord [Deuteronomy 8:3].

God’s Word is food for the soul. It nourishes the Christ follower, causing spiritual growth. 

That’s why we read it daily; it produces confidence. That’s why we proclaim it to others; it helps them to recognize and know its Author. 

As the Apostle Paul said, “Let the Word dwell in you richly in all wisdom [Colossians 3:16.a]. God's Word is intended to bring you great joy and encouragement. It is both effective and wholesome. Enjoy it daily!

[My Word] will not return to Me empty, without accomplishing what I desire, and without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

No comments:

Post a Comment