Friday, November 4, 2016

Thankful

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

It’s November 2016, and this year, with all its varied events, is quickly coming to an end. Can you believe it! It’s my favorite time of year - Thanksgiving/Christmas. It’s a great time to reflect on the past, examine the present, and look forward to the future. And when I do that, I want to echo the oft repeated words of the Psalmist, “Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good! For His love endures forever” [Psalm 106.1].

One word that comes to my mind at this time is Grace. I’m thankful for God’s grace. When I reflect on the past, I see His grace when He reached down and lifted me from the trash heap of life. It was His grace that brought a beautiful young lady into my life, Janet, who has helped me blossom in every area of my life. By His grace He made me the Dad to two amazing children and the Pops of four wonderful grandchildren (actually 5, as one is now in heaven, having died at birth). It was His grace that brought such indescribable joy to my life!

His grace abounds in the present too. By God’s grace, He allows me to be the pastor of a wonderful flock of people. Quite frankly, I’m astounded that He would use me that way. It only reminds me of the truth of His Word, that God “chooses the foolish things of the world” [1 Corinthians 1:27].

What about the future? Well, it can only get better; the best is yet to come, as they say! It will only be that way by His grace. We sing about it often in a wonderful hymn:

’Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home

Oh, the amazing grace of God! May it stimulate your heart to thankfulness. And may you be filled with confidence for what God has done, and anticipation of what He will do!

Give thanks in everything, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment