Thursday, November 10, 2016

Thankful

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

It’s easy to be thankful and consider God praise worthy when we have full stomachs, a closet full of clothes, reliable transportation, a cozy house or apartment, and a little nest egg for the future. Those are the “biggies.” But what do you do when the events in your life go south? When you’ve lost a loved one? When your marriage crumbles? When your children rebel? When you’re diagnosed with an illness? It’s much more difficult to be thankful in times like that.

Dear Christ follower, there are times when thanksgiving is a sacrifice. We say thanks through clenched teeth and chocked back tears. A sacrifice of thanksgiving demonstrates our trust in the Lord, regardless the adversity. I can tell you from personal experience that giving thanks in the midst of a storm in life brings joy to the heart.

When you are having trouble finding good in your life, be thankful anyway. Look no further than Jesus who was wounded for your transgressions and bruised for your iniquities. Despite everything you're facing, you can rejoice in Him. Remember, a sacrifice of praise honors God [Psalm 50.23].

I think Andrae Crouch said it better than anyone in his song, Through It All.

I thank God for the mountains,
And I thank Him for the valleys,
I thank Him for the storms
He brought me through;
For if I'd never had a problem
I wouldn't know that He could solve them,
I'd never know what faith in God could do.

Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus,
I've learned to trust in God;
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His Word.
© 1971, Renewed 1999 Manna Music, Inc.

Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. Hebrews 13.15

No comments:

Post a Comment