Monday, May 29, 2017

Preparation

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

OK, I’ll confess… I am not a fisherman. There, I’ve said it. I’ve only been deep sea fishing one time and got so seasick, I never dropped a line in the water! But I learned something from that trip that has helped me navigate through the difficulties of life — the best plan for surviving a trip in open water is preparation. 

Before we left the dock, I watched a seasoned crew checking the ship’s equipment to make sure it was in proper working order. They opened containers marked with a red cross on them to make sure everything on a list was there. 

I walked around the Captain’s pilot room (whatever that is called), and watched as he looked at navigational charts and called somewhere for weather patterns. 

And finally, I watched as they tested the anchor by raising it up and down to make sure it was ready to secure the boat if necessary. For some reason, that gave me a sense of security. I’m glad they didn’t leave the port without an anchor. No one wants to be shipwrecked, but in reality, it happens sometimes… in life as on the sea. 

The key, then, is what you do ahead of time while you are in calm waters. Let’s say that your life is “storm-free” at the moment. Take advantage of it. Spend time in the Word studying the divine navigational charts designed for life’s journeys. Check all your survival gear through prayer. Make sure your anchor is strong through personal worship. 

You will face adversity in life, storms, if you will. But if you are prepared, you will be ready to face it with faith and not fear. Don’t wait until the storm comes. Do the hard work of preparation now. You will be glad you did when an inevitable storm comes your way. Your best chance of survival is what you do in calm water.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Ephesians 6.10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment