Monday, May 22, 2017

Protected

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

OK, I’ll admit it. I’m a sucker for a really good cop show. I got sucked into one the other day when one of the police officers got separated from his buddies. He was in an alley and it was night time. The street was wet - they’re always wet (it must enhance the drama). Trash cans were tipped over and garbage littered the street. With gun drawn, he walked slowly, carefully hunting down the bad guys. The music built so you knew someone was about to bite the bullet. And sure enough, BAM BAM BAM! It was the cop. He dropped his gun, rocked backwards, and fell into a twisted heap on the cold, wet pavement, while the bad guys got away.

End of story, right? Well, not yet. The camera moved in on the cop’s hand and a finger twitched. Then, slowly, he began to move and, painfully, he got to his feet. He unbuttoned his uniform to reveal a bulletproof vest. He took three slugs to the chest, but was saved by his vest.

That piece of modern day protection reminds me of the eternal protection God has provided every Christ follower in the breastplate of righteousness. When the Apostle Paul wrote to the Ephesian Christ followers, he said, “Stand firm then… with the breastplate of righteousness in place” [Ephesians 6.14].

Let me remind you, as a Christ follower, you are going to take some shots too. I’m not talking about bullets from bad guys. I’m referring to your archenemy, Satan. He will do everything he can to pierce your heart with doubt, guilt, and shame from your sins. Those “fiery darts” are aimed at your heart with the intent killing your spirit. 

You may get knocked down from time to time like the policeman in the movie. But please remember, you have a breastplate of righteousness. It’s purpose is not to perfect you, but to protect you. It will. It does. Today, tomorrow, and every day until you meet God face to face. 

That’s really good news to start your week. Rejoice in it.

I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of His righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. 
Isaiah 61.10

No comments:

Post a Comment