Monday, October 30, 2017

On the Right Track

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I remember getting my first Garmin GPS. It was the latest gadget to get you from point A to point B using Global Positioning Satellites. I put it to use right away, punching in destinations that I already knew how to get to. A few days later, a missionary friend came to the States and was staying with another friend. They invited me for lunch and gave me the address of where to meet them. “Do you need directions,” he asked, “his house may be difficult to find?” “No problem, I’ve got a Garmin.”

Long story short, after the Garmin directed me to 5 dead-end streets, 3 dirt roads, and nearly to another city, I knew I needed to get a second opinion. I stopped a gentleman who gave me directions, which I followed, and it led me directly to my friend. Being on the right track is important to reach your destination. 

The Psalmist wrote about being on the right track. He said, "How blessed [happy] is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the path of sinners, nor sit in the seat of scoffers! But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night. And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither; and in whatever he does, he prospers" [Psalm 1.1-3].

The point is, true joy and happiness come from delighting in the law of the Lord, and meditating on it day and night. When you follow that advice, you get where you truly want to be: firmly grounded, yielding fruit, strong, and purposeful That was David's confidence when he wrote, "The precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart" [Psalm 19.8].

"Precepts" in that verse speaks of divine guidelines for conduct. Every precept is right and true. That’s the track you want to be on because it will guide you through the maze of life. Furthermore, it gives your life purpose and significance. When you know your life has a holy purpose, each day is joyful as you see that purpose unfold. 

What brings you joy? Your answer will reveal much about the direction your life is heading spiritually. Knowing your life is on the right track is a source of great joy.

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. Psalm 119.105

No comments:

Post a Comment