Tuesday, October 31, 2017

The Rest of the Story

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

When it was reported to Jesus that Lazarus was critically ill, He continued what He was doing for a few days. During that time, Lazarus died. It would be four days after his death that Jesus would arrive. Doesn’t make sense, does it? It didn’t to Lazarus’ family either. But in order to prove that He was the “Resurrection and the Life,” He had to let Lazarus die. When He got to the gravesite, He called Lazarus from the dead and loosed him from death. It all makes sense when you know the whole story.

I don’t know why things are the way they are. Why people are born deformed. Why my grandson had to die on his due date. Why my wife has cancer. Why people who once were close to God have jettisoned their faith. Why a godly executive loses his job, then his savings, then his home while the godless are submerged in material things. It just doesn’t make sense.

Here’s the hope of my faith: it will all make sense when we see the rest of the story. What is happening in our lives right now is not the final chapter of the book. The Author and Finisher of our faith has not yet written His grand finale. When we reach the last chapter on earth, most people write, “The End.” But the great Author writes, “The Beginning!” 

Like I said, I don’t get it now. But, I will, and you will, when we know the rest of the story. 

Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely. 1 Corinthians 13.12 

No comments:

Post a Comment