Thursday, April 5, 2018

No Ifs, Ands, or Buts

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

When God says something, take it at face value — no ifs, ands, or buts. His promises, His forgiveness, His provision, His love, His constant presence, His protection from the clutches of death and hell are crystal clear. There’s no catch; no fine print. Just His truthful word. 

You’d think after reading the Scriptures concerning His steadfast goodness and faithfulness that we would simply walk in confidence that He is true to His word. But sometimes, Christ followers kind of tilt their heads sideways with that questioning look in their eye that suggests uncertainty. 

Well, you’re not alone! Jacob was resting on the roadside one night and had a marvelous vision of what has been called the “Stairway to Heaven.” God spoke to him and said, “I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you” [Genesis 28.15].

Jacob’s response was right on, “Surely the Lord is in this place … How awesome is this place … this is the gate of heaven” [Genesis 28.16-17]. I guess so!

The next morning, as Jacob prepared to leave, he made a standing stone and called the place “Bethel.” It’s what he said next that really intrigued me. “If God will be with me and will watch over me on this journey I am taking and will give me food to eat and clothes to wear so that I return safely to my father’s household, then the Lord will be my God and this stone that I have set up as a pillar will be God’s house, and of all that you give me I will give you a tenth.”

Did it strike you too? 

If. If? God had just told him the night before, “I’ll be with you.” Now here he is, just a few hours later, “If God will be with me…” Wow!

I want to stick with the Apostle Paul here. “For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ” [2 Corinthians 1.20a] . 

God’s promises. No need to worry. No need to wait-and-see. No bargaining. Just receive them and go on your way rejoicing!

Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land. For I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you. Genesis 28.15

No comments:

Post a Comment