Friday, July 13, 2018

A Shout Out to Mothers

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I woke up this morning thinking about my Mother, who passed from this life in 2011. Would you agree with me that Mothers are very special people? Can I get a witness? I realize we are far from Mother’s Day, but I can’t help writing about it this morning.

Thinking about my Mother, I was reminded of another noteworthy Mother, one who is truly worth knowing. Her name was Jochebed. She lived during a horrible time when the law of the land required Hebrew babies to be drowned. With the help of brave mid-wives, and a deep faith in God, she had the courage to disobey Pharaoh’s command [Hebrews 11.23].

How Moses was spared from death as an infant is truly an amazing testimony of God’s providence. Not only was he spared (unbeknownst to Pharaoh), but his Mother also became his nursemaid. As Moses grew, he was “taught all the wisdom of the Egyptians”[Acts 7.22] and lived with privilege as a prince of Egypt [Exodus 2.7-10].

But things changed when Moses became an adult. He turned away from the power and pleasures he had in Egypt, choosing instead to suffer with the Jews. How did he know the history of “his people?” How did he develop such deep convictions and faith in God?

It had to be from his nursemaid, his Mother, Jochebed. She is the one who had the opportunity to recount the stories of Jehovah and of His people. It was her godly influence and faith that left its mark in his heart 

Moses wasn’t an only child. He had a brother and sister. The way these children turned out is a testimony of the kind of Mother she was. Moses, Aaron, and Miriam became the leaders of the Israelites early on in the Exodus. 

The name Jochebed means, God is her glory. If anyone ever lived up to her name, it was Jochebed. We are about ten months away from Mother’s Day. But I think it’s OK to celebrate godly Mothers today. I already have, and I’ve thanked God for a Mother who pointed me to Jesus and who lived out her faith in His strength. 

Start children off on the way they should go, and even when they are old they will not turn from it. Proverbs 22.6

No comments:

Post a Comment