Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Seek Wisdom

eDevotion
Encouragement for your daily walk with God 

I just encountered a new word: adulting. I had to ask my young friend what it meant. If I got it right, it’s slang for taking on adult responsibilities. Things like: paying bills, maintaining an automobile or house, cooking, and planning. It kind of makes sense. When I was younger, I thought all of the things my parents did would come naturally with age. Boy, did I ever have it wrong! Not only did it not come naturally, but it was a lot of hard work!

There’s something else we need that doesn’t come naturally: wisdom. The author of Proverbs urged his listeners not to forget the beauty of wisdom [Proverbs 4.21]. Over and over again, he advised his readers to pause and reflect on how we live our lives. His main point was that we should not mistake our assumptions for wisdom, but daily rely on God [3.5-7]. 

He went on to describe wisdom as a treasure to be sought after with all diligence [2.1-5]. I have come to believe that if you are really going for it, that is, seeking wisdom with all your heart, you will come to know Jesus, the One who fills our hearts with life, hope, and power. 

How do we get wisdom? 

Solomon wrote: For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding; He stores up sound wisdom for the upright [Proverbs 2.6-7].

James said if you lack wisdom you can “ask God who gives it generously” [1.5]. 

There is a lot of wisdom right there!

Above all and before all, do this: Get Wisdom! Write this at the top of your list: Get Understanding! Proverbs 4.7 [The MESSAGE Paraphrase]

No comments:

Post a Comment